MY BIG 4 FALL PATTERN PICKS

August 30, 2012

It seems like all of the fall patterns are out from the big 4 pattern companies.  I thought I would let you guys know which ones I am loving and planning on making.

Vogue 1314

V1314
 I love this dress.  So comfy and figure flattering.  Not to mention the ruching around the waist.  I think this is a perfect jersey dress for my  growing baby bump.  I plan on making it with a little extra fabric in the front to accomodate.  Did you see Mimi’s version?

V8827
I love this new maxi dress pattern and the one side drape.  There are also shorter versions, which may be more practical, but I think this long one is so amazing.  The pattern says it could work with both a woven or knit fabric.
M6611
This is one of the fashion star patterns and it is on my list to make up the aztec inspired fabric that I bought at the garment district last weekend.  I will definitely be making a muslin of this one first.  I am hoping that it looks better than the picture on the pattern cover.
M6553
Another one of the fashion star patterns, and another one that I think that I could wear during maternity.  I originally looked past this pattern, but then I saw Gingermakes version and I can’t get it out of my head.  I think it would be pretty amazing as a tunic as well.
K3935
I love this pattern for my daughter.  I think that the cut is really modern.  I havn’t bought this one yet, but I keep on thinking about it.  I am usually really disappointed with kids patterns from the big 4 so this was a pleasant surprise.

• Reply anto August 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM

great picks, I really like the second one.

• Reply poppykettle August 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I’m with Anto – that floaty maxi is gorgeous!!! I think that ruched-waist Vogue would make a rather stunning dress on a baby bump 🙂

• Reply Kelli Ward August 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM

thanks anto. i love that second one too. i am still trying to figure out if i can make it work with maternity.

• Reply Heather Lou August 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Kelly, I think I squealed when I saw that wrap maxi. WHAT A DRESS. So cute. However I’m waiting for another sale before I buy it so it may wait till next year (Maxi dresses and Montreal snow DO NOT MIX) but I can’t wait to see your take!! I’m also on that jacket (great minds…).

• Reply Ashley August 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Cute picks! I am definitely going to have to try the V8827.

-Ash P

• Reply Sarah September 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

i have such a hard time visualizing patterns until i see someone make a real life version i like! looks like some great additions to your wardrobe that you can hopefully wear after you have your second baby–even if you can’t you’ll look amazing walking around NY in your handmades 🙂

• Reply gingermakes September 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Holy cow, I love that wrap maxi! It looks amazing!!!!! You’ll look so glamorous and cool!

• Reply Janice September 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

That jacket pattern looks great! Can’t wait to see it made up in the aztec fabric.

• Reply dixie September 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I bought that little girls’ pattern, too. I’ve got three little girl cousins that I want to make dresses as gifts for them for Christmas. I think it looks really cute and modern. You’re right, most big 4 kids patterns are dinky looking.

• Reply Suzanne September 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Nice choices. I hadn’t seen that top one before. We’ve got to meet up soon!