TODDLER TANK / SEWING UP SCRAPS

April 3, 2012

Now that I am moving to NYC in the near future, it has become apparent that I am going to need to get rid of most of my fabric stash.  I have a lot of scraps that I am going to have a really hard time parting with, so I decided to get going on some of those leftovers for small items for my 2 year old daughter.  I wanted something simple that I could customize.  I found that a lot harder to find than I would have thought – especially for a little girl.  Why do all little girl’s patterns have to be covered with bows and ruffles and petticoats?

I drafted up this little tank top in a size 2T for my daughter with some leftover Chambray blazer fabric.  I like that it is a blank slate that could easily become a dress, or tunic, or add pockets, pleats, buttons, etc…

I am working up some pdfs and directions so that you guys can make some up yourself.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee April 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

This is really cute – I’m always a bit confused by the frilliness of little girls clothes too. I felt so bad for my nieces when they were babies and wanted to crawl all over the place but couldn’t because they kept getting caught in there pretty little dress! I guess it was helpful for their parents though 😉

• Reply Kelli Ward April 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

i agree, it’s not that I don’t want feminine things for my daughter, i just get sick of the overtly princess type clothing all of the time.

• Reply mjb April 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM

This is awesome! I’m pregnant with a girl due in July so all of a sudden half my stash has her name on it in my mind.

• Reply harun April 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Wow,it’s so nice,this type of dresses are best option for baby girl,it’s look very comfort and color is also amazing,parents should choose comfortable and non allergic fabric baby girl dresses for their baby girl.

• Reply Lucinda Poel April 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

so beautiful! love it in its simplicity, but I can see that it would be fun to embellish too. Chambray is about my favorite fabric! Would love to see a pdf if you have the time:)

• Reply Kelli Ward April 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM

thanks Lucinda. I am actually working on the pdf right and now and should have it on my blog next week. So keep your eye out. I would love to see what you make from it.