SEWN : MISSION MAXI DRESS

April 16, 2012

I actually made the mission maxi dress at the very end of fall last year, so unfortunately I didn’t get my wear out of it then.  But I certainly am now.  It might be the most wearable and comfortable thing in my wardrobe.  I love throwing on a jean jacket and flip flops with it for everyday wear.  Yesterday I even pulled it down around my waist, put a thick belt on, and made it double as a maxi skirt.  I really want to make another one of these dresses, but I need to find some fun knits first.  Enough with the plain black that rules my wardrobe.

Jean Jacket – thrifted / dress self made Mission Maxi / bracelet – gift / flip flops – Gap
top – Old Navy / skirt – self made Mission Maxi as skirt / shoes Aldo

Pattern: Mission Maxi

Textiles Used: black knit from JoAnns
Sizing: The sizing was great.

The Good:  So easy to wear and comfortable.  I love how it turned out.  I want to make many more.  I thought that the instructions were very easy to follow and the pattern teaches you some basics for sewing with knits too.

The Bad: nothing.
Changes Made:  I had to take the neckline up by about an inch otherwise no changes at all.
Things I would change next time?  I think I would like a fuller skirt from the waist down.  I think it would also make a great knee length dress.
Conclusion: Great pattern.  Very on trend and super fast to whip up.  I made this pre serger and it was really doable without a serger.  Highly recommended.

• Reply Sassy T April 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Have this pattern on my wishlist. Absolutely love it.

• Reply Kelli Ward April 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

sassy you should make it. it is so easy to make and you will wear it all the time.

• Reply Rae Veda April 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Your dress is adorable! I love maxi dresses. xo, rv

• Reply Kelli Ward April 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM

thanks so much Rae. i love maxi’s right now too. comfy and cool in the summer, but i still feel covered.

• Reply Merche Martinez April 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Lovely and so versatile! Good job!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee April 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Aaah! I am going to MAKE this dress!! I need it in my wardrobe NOW! you have no idea… must buy. oh em gee.

Yeah – all thats to say I love it. Looks really versatile and wearable and comfy and “now”… sigh….

• Reply Kelli Ward April 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

sallie you should make this dress. i am serious about the fact that i wear it all the time. it has become such a staple in my spring/summer wardrobe. i love to wear it out and lounge in it at home.

• Reply M. Inez May 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Very cute! I just made this (in black as well). If you don’t mind, how did you take up the neckline? I haven’t yet gotten into pattern modifications. But I found it to be a bit low myself and plus from the weight of all that fabric pulling on it, I was constantly checking my neckline.

• Reply Kelli Ward May 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I know what you mean about the weight of the fabric. You can either just cut the neckline about 1 inch higher while cutting it out. (make it 1 inch higher in the middle and then grade it so that it is the same by the time you reach the neckline) or you can take off about 1/2 inch from each side of the straps before you sew them together. Does that make sense? Good luck!

• Reply M. Inez May 11, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Thanks for your response. I will try cutting the neckline higher. I considered taking away from the straps but I was afraid it would make the hip curves too high. My torso is long so I really don’t have much wiggle room. Thanks again!