OTHER

BIG NEWS

March 5, 2012

I’ve got some big news around here that I am excited to share it with you.  This morning my husband accepted a job and so we will be moving to New York city or thereabouts in a few months.  I am really excited although a bit overwhelmed as well.  I am hoping that some of you live there or have lived there and can give me some tips on good areas to live, fun things to do, and especially – best places to buy fabric.

• Reply Evie March 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Congratulations. I’m really rather envious!
    Check out this resource…
    I’ve never been to New York, but I think this is really rather a comprehensive overview of what’s available in the garment district.
    Enjoy.

• Reply Kelli Ward March 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

thanks for the link Evie. I think this will come in very handy!

• Reply Megan March 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Awesome! I’m a little jealous! You’ll have to share all your adventures 🙂

• Reply Kelli Ward March 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I know I can’t believe that it is happening. I am still not sure how all of the logistics are going to work out, but it seems like a bit of a dream.

• Reply Sarah March 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

how exciting!! congrats and best wishes for a smooth transition

• Reply Kelli Ward March 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

thank you. I am going to need the best wishes. so much to do!

• Reply Sewing Princess March 6, 2012 at 4:30 AM

So cool…You must be ecstatic. I will be in NY for a few days soon and planning to visit the Garment Distric. Can’t wait!

• Reply Kelli Ward March 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

let me know what you think and if there are any must go to places for fabric.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee March 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Ooh! A move is always exciting (and a little scary!) Good luck with everything – New York has so many incredible resources I bet you’ll feel at home in no time!

• Reply Kelli Ward March 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM

thanks sallie – it’s exactly that. scary and exciting. i am sure it will all work out, but the thought of finding an apartment, selling my car and half we own and starting new seems so daunting.

• Reply Leah Franqui March 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Congratulations! There are so many great places to buy fabric, I’m sure you will be fine.

I now award you a Liebster Blog Award!
    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

• Reply Kelli Ward March 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM

thanks so much for the award. I really mean it. I can’t believe how fun it has been to have this blog over the past couple of months. so many new internet friends like you.

• Reply NewYorkDrift March 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

If you think about living in Brooklyn, I can’t say enough about Greenpoint! I lived there for two years and it’s awesome. More square footage for your money, awesome views of the NY skyline, a quiet and pretty safe area, a short walk to Williamsburg (the hipster part of Brooklyn), or a short walk the other direction across the bridge to the 7 train, which takes you straight into midtown (& the fashion/sewing district) in 10-15 minutes! 🙂

• Reply NewYorkDrift March 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I should also mention that I have lived ALL OVER NY (upper east side, lower east side, midtown, downtown (near ground zero), and in north and south brooklyn. So. I’ve got a lot of advice if you want any 🙂

• Reply Kelli Ward March 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Thank you so much! I think I will probably being taking you up on that advice as it gets closer. It’s just so overwhelming. What do you think about Long Island City?

• Reply NewYorkDrift March 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Long Island City is fantastic! I have a friend who lives there, and we would walk up there from Greenpoint all the time. There’s a really beautiful park on the water, and the Museum of Modern Art has a building there called PS1, which always has really unique art exhibits 🙂

• Reply Mika March 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I moved to NYC about seven months ago – so not super familiar with the city yet, but I’m slowly discovering more and more fun shops in the Garment District, and learning about fun things to do. I’m also apartment/neighborhood hunting, so let me know if you have any questions!

• Reply Catlin March 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I’m a new follower to your blog. I love looking at what you’ve sewn!

We live in Staten Island and we love it! We lived in Brooklyn our first year in NYC, but with two kids and a student budget, Staten Island just works better for us. It is really family friendly, cheaper rent, more space, and you’d keep your car. It really isn’t a bad commute into the city, either. We are actually moving to Texas in a few months, but I could answer any of your questions about Staten Island! (and our apartment will be available… 🙂

• Reply Jill April 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

This is so funny, Catlin is my downstairs neighbor! We both love to sew, and have sew-alongs sewing clothes for ourselves and our kids after they have gone to bed! So funny to randomly bump into her here!

Anyways I’m a recent follower too and like Catlin lived in a different part of Brooklyn before moving to Staten Island. I like it on SI so much more because it of how family friendly it is. With my own washer/dryer, dishwasher and a little yard for the kids to play in I feel like I found a little piece of less-expensive heaven in NYC.

Catlin and I take turns watching each others kids and trekking to all the fun fabric shops in Manhattan. Sometimes the husbands watch and we go together! There are SOOO MANY! You’re going to love this city!

Oooh, and like she said, her apartment will be available! 🙂