ON THE TABLE : VINTAGE JACKET COPY

February 10, 2012

Have you guys been following along with  Rachel of Define Refine and Be Mine as she has been making a pattern from her favorite pair of jeans?  I have been very impressed and inspired by this process and wanted to give it a go myself.

I was at the thrift store the other day and found this vintage – 70’s – blazer.  To my surprise the fit and the cut were perfect.  The fabric, on the other hand, was not perfect.  It’s some sort of wool blend that reeks of moth balls and is pilling.  So I decided this was the perfect piece to use as a pattern.  I am going to start the long process of unpicking the jacket tonight.  I will check back in with the process soon.

• Reply Jayson & Sara February 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Oh what a neat idea! Can’t wait to follow.

• Reply Susan February 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I did follow the Rachel’s posts on using her favorite jeans as a pattern. Good luck with all of the unpicking.

• Reply Rachel February 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

HEY, It won’t be that bad. Mine was quick. I mean quick if 1 hr is quick. But worth it since you’ll save the time a million times over in not have to fit it. Can’t wait to see the final product. Do you have fabric picked?

PS….. you’re adorable. So happy to be able to read your blog.

Rachel

• Reply Kelli Ward February 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Thanks guys, I havn’t picked fabric yet, but hopefully will this week. I was hoping for some cool striped fabric, but not sure if I will be so lucky.
      My biggest worry is that I won’t know how to put all of the pieces back together once I take it apart.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee February 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Kelli I love your blog!
    I’ve always wondered about using an existing garment as a pattern. Can’t wait to see how it goes! This jacket is so handsome – definitely a good pick – and I agree with Rachel that it seems like you will save yourself a million years in not having to fit your jacket pattern once you pick this one apart.

• Reply small + friendly February 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I can’t wait to see what fabric you choose, the shape is darling!

• Reply lsaspacey February 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Hopefully, you’ve taken lots of picture, just in case you get confused on the details. Look forward to watching this project, I have a few things I would love to copy.

• Reply Leslie February 23, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Ok, you are officially the most ambitious sewer vie ever known.

• Reply Vanessa March 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Now this is one gorgeous jacket!! I hope your project is successful!